Friday, June 21, 2013

Guatemala.

BLOG!!!! waaaaayyyy long time no see.  I just finished my 3rd week at camp and I'm loving it. It's a lot of hard work and I am super tired, but I'm having fun! I'm going on a mission! I opened my call last Friday with some close friends and family. Right before I opened it someone asked me where I would want to go if I were to choose. I said Central or South America,  I am obsesssssed with Latin American culture. I opened the big white envelope and read where I was going silently. I saw the words "Guatemala Quetzaltenango" and all I could think was "isn't this where Jane is going?" So I read it out loud and was shocked to see that I will be leaving on August 21st. I put my availability date as September 1st and had a lot of things planned for the end of August. Then I just kept saying "I think I'm going to the same mission as Jane... Jane and I are going to be serving in the same mission..." Jane is one of my good friends who had received her call a week earlier. I still can't believe out of all the missions in the whole world, we're going to the same one.

Our closest family friends are from Guatemala. I went to visit for the first time when I was 12 and I think that was when I fell in love with Latin America. I went over to talk to them last weekend and they told me about lots of their friends and family in the area. Enrique told me that if I ever needed anything that he would fly down to deliver it to me. They thought it was hilarious to talk to me in Spanish only just to see how much I understand. Their niece, my friend, is working at the MTC in Guatemala and I can't wait to see her and give her a big hug.

There are 24 different Mayan dialects throughout Guatemala and my friends say they wouldn't be surprised if I learned a few of them. The weather is supposed to be incredible, a little cold in the mornings and evenings and rainy in the summer, but not too hot. thank goodness. Xelaju is short for Quetzaltenango and it's the second largest city in Guatemala (next to Guatemala City) The most famous Guatemalan song is called Luna de Xelaju so here's a lil taste of what I'll be listening to for the next 18 months...


                                       

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I was shocked to see this! And so excited for you. What an adventure! I have some very dear friends from Central America. Great culture! Yummy food. How exciting!

    ~Congrats~

    Watch out for sink-holes ;-)

    ReplyDelete

dear grace,